Now More Happier.

1.11.2006

I Hate The Way I Read

For someone who reads so much, you would think I'd be better at it. Not that I'm not a good reader, I'm fairly fast and have great comprehension. However, I can not for the life of me stop myself from skipping around aimlessly. I skip or skim entire paragraphs. I set the book down for a moment, then when I pick it up my eyes find some place at random that is entirely different from where I left off. I get lost in thought and turn pages without reading them. Occasionally I'll drop the book and lose my page entirely, and have to guess where I left off through a combination of reading and looking around where the book was roughly open last. This means that sometimes, I'll lose my spot and reread four or five pages without noticing that I'm behind where I was.

This is ok for the fantasy or science fiction I usually read. I'll be the first to admit that most of it is not good. I read it to pass time: in class, (formerly) on the bus, at home waiting for something to happen...whenever. Not that I don't enjoy, I just admit that there are better books I could be reading. I'm ok with that; they're all my dad's, and you can't beat the price (free).

I sort of decided to 'learn' myself a little bit, though, and it all started with the English speech I wrote about a little farther down the page. Basically, I spent a good hour reading about philosophy. Awhile ago, I read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance at the recommendation of one of my favorite teachers and that was...an experience. The book took a lot longer than normal to get in to and to finish, but it was certainly worth it. About mid-way through, I read reviews on the book to see if it got better. What I read was that the author became obsessed with the term Quality and the book got much worse, then better. I forged ahead, and the part with Quality was actually pretty amazing. Anyway, this whet my appetite. Honestly, if I thought there was any financial future in a philosophy degree, I might go that route. ANYWAY, in the same vein, I've decided to read up on my existential literature. I ordered Nausea by Sartre and The Stranger by Camus. I also decided it was about time I read some Ayn Rand, so I got The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I'm pretty sure I win some Pretentious Points, which makes me sad.

I've realized that I write a lot like I read. I jump around, and it all makes sense to me, but only because I have all sorts of thoughts and (for papers) research in that help me get from point A to point B that I don't write down. Usually, this means I rearrange things and otherwise edit. When it doesn't, it's usually the literary equivalent of a train wreck.

Maybe I just suck, in general.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jadewolff said...

Personally, I loved Neitzsche too. "Thus Spake Zarathustra". It's more like fiction with existential concepts rather then just philosophy though. Kinda like Camus?
Also, loved Hermann Hesse as well. He was never considered an existential writer but I saw Existnetialism is everything he wrote. Have fun with it!

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

mmm Nietzsche. I have a book that's kind of a compilation of some of his stuff I haven't read in a while. I should do that again sometime.

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home